• 1 small organic free-range chicken, left whole
• 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
• 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
• 1 leek, white part finely sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, scrubbed and grated
• 2 bay leaves
• ½ packet dried rice noodles, broken up
• 6 cups water (more if it evaporates)
• 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
• ½ cup pearl barley
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 cup silver beet leaves, finely sliced
• ½ cup fresh curly parsley, finely chopped
• ½ lemon
• salt and pepper
• chilli flakes (optional)
1. In a large pot over a medium heat, place all the soup ingredients. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for approximately one hour or until the chicken is cooked and starting to fall off the bone.
3. Remove the pot from the heat. Carefully take the chicken out of the soup using tongs and place on a large chopping board.
4. Allow the chicken to cool and then, using your fingers, strip all the meat from the carcass.
5. Add the chicken meat, silver beet and parsley to the soup. Squeeze the juice from the lemon half into the soup and then also add the
fruit to the pot.
6. Bring the soup back to the boil and then remove from the heat.
7. Season to taste with salt and freshly cracked pepper and, if desired, a pinch of chilli flakes.